Our Games – Our Code is the new Code of Best Practice in Youth Sport agreed by the Gaelic Athletic
Association, Ladies Gaelic Football Association, the Camogie Association, GAA Handball Ireland and
the Rounders Council of Ireland. This Code will direct our members and all units of our Associations in
our work with underage teams.
Our Associations are committed to creating and maintaining the safest possible environment for all young
people who participate in our Gaelic Games and activities. We shall take all practicable steps to protect
them from discernable forms of abuse, from harm, discrimination or degrading treatment and shall respect
their rights, wishes and feelings.
WE DO THIS BY;
• Recognising that all children have the right to be protected from harm.
• Ensuring that all our coaches and volunteers are carefully recruited and selected in accordance
with our own guidelines and relevant legislative requirements and that they accept responsibility
for ensuring the wellbeing of children in their care.
• Responding swiftly and appropriately to any allegations or concerns so as to protect the welfare of
children who participate in our games and related activities.
• Appointing Children's Officers in each of our Clubs and at County Board level.
• Appointing a National Children's Officer to oversee the implementation of good child protection
and welfare practices within our Associations.
• Appointing a Designated Officer in each Club and County who will liaise with the statutory
authorities as appropriate.
• Appointing a National Designated Officer to assist, advise and oversee the processing of child
protection and welfare matters.
• Providing parents and children with the opportunity to voice their concerns.
• Ensuring that all allegations of abuse of young people are confidentially dealt with in accordance
the Association Guidelines and relevant legislation.
• Reviewing the effectiveness of our Child Protection and Welfare procedures and related policies on
an on-going basis.
• Ensuring that members, coaches, team mentors, administrators, parents/guardians and spectators
sign up to and adhere to our Code of Behaviour.
• Promoting the Give Respect - Get Respect initiative at all levels within our Associations.
Galway GAA County Children's Officer Pat Monaghan (Craughwell GAA Club)
Tel: 087 959 2068