Cul Camps 2018


Galway Captain Damien Comer with the Nestor Cup

Galway Supreme in Connacht showdown


By Cian O'Connell at Dr Hyde Park

Prompted by the splendid Shane Walsh, who married substance with style, Galway returned to the western summit.
Kevin Walsh’s charges produced a dominant second half display to overpower Roscommon, who had set the agenda early on.
Roscommon, who motored smoothly initially, endured severe issues after the restart as Galway outwitted the holders by 0-11 to 1-1 after the restart.
That Roscommon failed to register a score from play in the last 35 minutes confirmed how gritty and resourceful Galway were.

The opening period showcased Roscommon’s ability in attack with the majestic Murtagh brothers inflicting plenty of damage.
Diarmuid contributed four points, including three sweet efforts from play, while Ciarain supplied a gorgeous 22nd minute goal.

That major was all about a blend of speed and skill as the St Faithleach’s clubman manufactured just enough space to make the Galway net dance.
It was a moment of sheer daring and class, while at the opposite end Galway relied on Shane Walsh and Ian Burke for scores and inspiration.
Walsh mined three first half points, kicking two fine efforts from play, while the Kilkerrin-Clonberne forward crafted two further scores for Burke.

Still despite Walsh’s craft Roscommon were content to be departing armed with a 1-5 to 0-5 advantage at the interval.
Galway’s response, though, was loaded with character and following a Diarmuid Murtagh free Galway reeled off six points without reply to seize the initiative.
Walsh struck five of those before Sean Kelly landed an important point, but Roscommon did manage to pose one more serious question.
A foul on Diarmuid Murtagh resulted in a penalty which was converted by Roscommon captain Conor Devaney with six minutes remaining.
Suddenly Ross led by 2-6 to 0-11, but Galway came thundering back once more. Substitute Sean Armstrong restored parity and two Damien Comer points edged the Tribesmen ahead.

Another replacement Adrian Varley and Burke sealed the deal with late points for Galway, who advance to the All Ireland Quarter Final round robin series.

Scorers for Galway: Shane Walsh 0-8 (6fs), Ian Burke 0-3, Damien Comer 0-2, Sean Kelly, Sean Armstrong, Adrian Varley 0-1 each.

Scorers for Roscommon: Diarmuid Murtagh 0-5 (2fs), Ciarain Murtagh and Conor Devaney (pen) 1-0 each, Donie Smith 0-1.

GALWAY: Ruairi Lavelle; Declan Kyne, Sean Andy O’Ceallaigh, David Wynne; Cathal Sweeney, Gareth Bradshaw, Johnny Heaney; Paul Conroy, Tom Flynn; Eamonn Brannigan, Shane Walsh, Sean Kelly; Ian Burke, Damien Comer, Barry McHugh.
Subs: Ciaran Duggan for Conroy (45), Sean Armstrong for McHugh (48), Eoghan Kerin for Wynne (49), Peter Cooke for Heaney (65), Adrian Varley for Brannigan (69), Gary O’Donnell for O’Ceallaigh (70)

ROSCOMMON: Colm Lavin; David Murray, Niall McInerney, Peter Domican; John McManus, Fintan Cregg, Conor Devaney; Cathal Compton, Tadhg O’Rourke; Enda Smith, Niall Kilroy, Brian Stack; Donie Smith, Diarmuid Murtagh, Ciarain Murtagh.
Subs: Ultan Harney for Compton (31), Fergal Lennon for Murray (53, BC), Cathal Cregg for Stack (56), Finbar Cregg for C Murtagh (60), Conor Delaney for O’Rourke (63), Ronan Stack for Kilroy (70)

REFEREE: David Coldrick (Meath).


Shane Walsh in action in the Hyde Park today


Goals from Cian Connolly and Brian Stack in each half saw Kevin McStay lead Roscommon to their first Connacht title in seven years as they avenged last year’s 11-point final defeat with a classy showing at Pearse Stadium.
Roscommon dominated from the first minute and only allowed Galway brief moments of supremacy, while an ugly late brawl in injury-time saw Micheal Lundy and Damien Comer sent off and Paul Conroy black carded.
Roscommon’s goalscorer Connolly was also sent off when he earned a yellow card, but after his side claimed a first win over either Mayo or Galway since 2001 it mattered not a jot to the Roscommon supporters in the 18,287 crowd, who flooded onto the pitch at full-time.
In their semi-final romp against Leitrim, the Roscommon forwards showed they were in a rich vein of form and they showed their Galway markers the same class in the early stages.
Ciaráin Murtagh pointed the first score of the game exactly a minute into the action, and with huge pressure on the Galway kickouts, Diarmuid Murtagh doubled the lead, before an off-the-ball foul by Declan Kyne on Connolly saw Ciaráin Murtagh on target again.
It was a rampant start from last year’s runners-up, but Galway finally made an impact on the scoreboard when Shane Walsh slotted a free from the ground following a foul on Damien Comer, who was double-marked any time the ball came in his direction.
The success that the Roscommon inside forward line were having continued though and they reeled off three points in two minutes – a free each from the two Murtagh brothers and a fine long range effort from Conor Devaney from distance in the 12th minute.
While Roscommon had a handful of in-form forwards Walsh was Galway’s sole threat and he curled over a love point to make to 0-06 to 0-02 after 14 minutes.
But, crucially, the next score came to Roscommon. It was Diarmuid Murtagh that picked out Connolly, isolated inside on his marker Cathal Sweeney, and Connolly’s finish to the net was controlled as he rolled the ball into the bottom corner for a seven-point lead after 14 minutes.
As the weather conditions worsened, so too did the quality of football on show. There was little sympathy from referee David Gough either, who fired out five yellow cards before the interval – some of them were very questionable.
Nine minutes from the interval, Galway came within the width of the post to a goal of their own when Michael Daly found himself on the end of a slick move, but after Diarmuid Murtagh’s third point, Walsh’s second free meant a 1-07 to 0-03 lead was Roscommon’s at half-time.
Nine first-half wides were a blight on Roscommon’s opening 35 and when Walsh and Comer added two quick points for the home side that slack shooting was punished.
But, six minutes after the break, Roscommon struck for a second goal. A mark was awarded to Brian Stack when he claimed a Galway kickout, but he continued on his powerful run, which ended in controlled finish low to Ruairi Lavelle’s right.
That goal put Roscommon 2-08 to 0-05 ahead and Galway looked dead and buried, but an impressive five points in four minutes saw Galway pull within four points.
But three of the next four scores were kicked by Roscommon to settle their nerves and it was left to sub Shane Killoran to kick the last point as McStay’s men claimed the title for the first time since 2010.
Roscommon: C Lavin; D Murray, N McInerney, S McDermott; C Devaney (0-02), S Mullooly, J McManus; T O’Rourke, E Smith; F Cregg, N Kilroy, B Stack (1-00); C Murtagh (0-03, 0-02f), D Murtagh (0-05, 0-03f), C Connolly (1-01).
Subs used: G Patterson for Murray (35+1-half-time blood), I Kilbride for Cregg (48 mins), D Smith (0-02, 0-01f) for D Murtagh (53 inj.), Colin Compton for C Murtagh (65), R Stack for Kilroy (70), S Killoran (0-01) for B Stack (75).
Galway: R Lavelle; C Sweeney, D Kyne, E Kerin; G O’Donnell (0-01), G Bradshaw, L Silke; P Conroy (0-02, 0-01f), F Ó Curraoin; T Flynn, E Brannigan, J Heaney; M Daly (0-01), D Comer (0-02), S Walsh (0-06, 0-04f).
Subs used: G Sice for Heaney (half-time), D Cummins for Brannigan (half-time), M Lundy for Flynn (60), E Tierney for Ó Curraoin (65), D Wynne for Conroy (75 BC).
Referee: David Gough (Meath).