Galway Beat Kerry in Quarter Final Phase One

Thomas Flynn WEB

Tomas Flynn in Action

Damien Comer Web

Damien Comer in full flight

All-Ireland SFC Quarter-Final (Phase 1)

GALWAY 1-13 KERRY 1-10

Galway rolled back the clock in Croke Park to defeat Kerry in the Super Eights phase 1 and claim their first win over the kingdom since in championship since 1965, the winners continued on from their League form and showed the same self –belief that brought the final, the game was not a classic by any means but in the end a victory was the goal and now its on to Newbridge next week and a game with Kildare who will be all fired up to gain two points if they are to stay in contention for honours.

The rain came to Croke Park and it was strange to have the lights on the game as the weather conditions made it difficult for the players with the pitch like a skating ring, Kerry opened the scoring when Kevin McCarthy pointed after three minutes, Ian Burke and Paul Conroy had the Galway’s opening points to put them ahead by the 18th minute. It would be Conroy’s only score of the game as he suffered a serious leg injury and we wish him a speedy recovery.

David Clifford had a side’s level two minutes later and they went one up when Shane Murphy popped over a 45 and Damien Comer then shot over the bar, with eight minutes injury added we had three late points Paul Geaney for Kerry and Shane Walsh and Ian Burke for the winners to give their side a one point lead at the break 0-6 to 0-5, in part two both sides upped a gear and after fifteen minutes it was a level ball game at eight points each, Walsh restored Galway’s lead with a well taken point and the Tribesmen began to grow in confidence and an excellent point from Declan Kyne showed that that belief, Adrian Varley not for the first time this year made a huge impact as a sub scoring two points and when another sub Patrick Sweeney scored a goal to give   Galway give a seven point lead but Kerry scored 1-1in the dying minutes to make it a three point win for the Tribesmen.

Galway scorers: Shane Walsh 0-5 (4f), Patrick Sweeney 1-0, Ian Burke 0-2, Adrian Varley 0-2, Damien Comer 0-1, Paul Conroy 0-1, Declan Kyne 0-1, Sean Kelly 0-1.

Kerry scorers: David Clifford 1-5 (1f), Paul Geaney 0-2, Kevin McCarthy 0-1, Stephen O’Brien 0-1, Shane Murphy 0-1 (’45)

GALWAY: Ruairi Lavelle; Declan Kyne, Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh, Eoghan Kerin; Cathal Sweeney, Gareth Bradshaw, Johnny Heaney; Paul Conroy, Thomas Flynn; Eamonn Brannigan, Michael Daly, Sean Kelly; Ian Burke, Damien comer, Shane Walsh. Subs: Peter Cooke for Paul Conroy (25), Adrian Varley for Michael Daly (55), Gary O’Donnell for Gareth Bradshaw (64), Patrick Sweeney for Damien Comer (65), Johnny Duane for Thomas Flynn (74), Frankie Burke for Ian Burke (76)

KERRY: Shane Murphy; Jason Foley, Peter Crowley, Brian Ó Beaglaoich; Paul Murphy, Killian Young, Gavin White; David Moran, Jack Barry; Kevin McCarthy, Seán Ó Shea, Stephen O’Brien; David Clifford, Paul Geaney, James O’Donoghue. Subs: Tom O’Sullivan for Brian Ó Beaglaoich (ht), Anthony Maher for Jack Barry (47), Micheál Burns for James O’Donoghue (52), Mark Griffin for Jason Foley (65), Donnchadh Walsh for Sean O’Shea (65), Barry John Keane for Kevin McCarthy (65)

Cathal Sweeney Web

Cathal Sweeney on the ball

Cul Camps 2018


Enda Fahy was the super sub for Galway as the ten-time All-Ireland minor champions advanced to another decider with a thrilling 1-12 to 2-08 win over Kilkenny at Croke Park.
Jeffrey Lynskey’s side were 1-06 to 0-06 behind after a first-half where Jim Ryan hit the net early for Kilkenny.
Jack Canning — nephew of Joe — scored a second-half penalty for Galway and despite Eoin Cody netting a second goal for Kilkenny, Galway just had enough in the end.
Galway last won a minor All-Ireland in 2015 when they beat Tipperary and this was a stern test heading into another final, with Conor Heary’s late red card the final blow for Pat O’Grady’s outfit.
Galway took the lead after just 31 seconds when Canning sent over a wonderful effort from out wide on the right wing but the Kilkenny response was excellent.
Heary won possession, drove forward and his diagonal ball was fielded by Jim Ryan, who blasted past Darach Fahy and into the Galway net. That score came in the third minute and the teams traded scores for the rest of the half.
Canning slotted his and Galway’s second point before Adrian Mullen hit back for Kilkenny. Mullen had scored 1-9 in Kilkenny’s Leinster final victory over Dublin, but Darren Morrissey was keeping the shackles on him here.
Conor Molloy opened his account and Canning hit a third brilliant effort, this time from the left, but Kilkenny always kept in front with James Brennan and then Cody on target.
There were some fantastic scores from play, Eoin O’Shea and Niall Brassil added to Kilkenny’s tally, but both defence were well on top.
Sean Bleahane scored Galway’s last point of the half in the 19th minute and Kilkenny only registered one more point after that with Mullen tapping over a free.
It was 1-06 to 0-06 at half-time but Walsh tapped over a free on the restart and then Canning scored his fourth point from play to bring Galway to within one.
Cody kept Galway at bay when he followed up on his own rebound to bat Kilkenny’s second goal to the net seven minutes into the second-half.
But Galway hit the next two scores, and Canning blasted a penalty past Dean Mason after substitute Donal Mannion was hauled down by Darragh Walsh in the 38th minute.
Bleahane levelled the game with his second point before Mullen finally scored his first from play in the 46th minute, but Belahane scored again.
Both sides had plenty of chances in the closing stages and Mullen looked like he had sealed the win for Kilkenny with a disputed 65 in the 56th minute.
But Mannion was impressive and he brought Galway back level, and in the final minute of normal time Heary was sent off for a second yellow card after he fouled Morrissey.
Galway seized the initiative in added-time and Fahy kept his composure to land a massive score in the 64th minute.
Galway: D Fahy; C Killeen, D Loftus, D Morrissey; R Glennon, C Caulfield, M Gill; C Fahey, J Fleming; M McManus, C Walsh (0-02, 0-02f), B Moran; S Bleahane (0-03), C Molloy (0-01), J Canning (1-04, 1-00 pen).
Subs: S Ryan for Fleming (36), D Mannion (0-01) for Molloy (36), C Elwood for Moran (47), E Fahy (0-01) for McManus (53).
Kilkenny: D Mason; T Ronan, M Carey, D Walsh; J Brennan (0-01), C Flynn, J Molloy; J Dowd, N Brassil (0-01); E O’Shea (0-01), C Heary, J Ryan (1-00); E Cody (1-01), A Mullen (0-04, 0-02f, 0-01 ’65), S Ryan.
Subs: N Brennan for Brassil (7, blood), Brassil for N Brennan (11), D Barron for S Ryan (49), J Kelly for O’Shea (52), N Brennan for J Ryan (57).
Referee: Johnny Murphy (Limerick).