Galway Beat Kerry in Quarter Final Phase One

Thomas Flynn WEB

Tomas Flynn in Action

Damien Comer Web

Damien Comer in full flight

All-Ireland SFC Quarter-Final (Phase 1)

GALWAY 1-13 KERRY 1-10

Galway rolled back the clock in Croke Park to defeat Kerry in the Super Eights phase 1 and claim their first win over the kingdom since in championship since 1965, the winners continued on from their League form and showed the same self –belief that brought the final, the game was not a classic by any means but in the end a victory was the goal and now its on to Newbridge next week and a game with Kildare who will be all fired up to gain two points if they are to stay in contention for honours.

The rain came to Croke Park and it was strange to have the lights on the game as the weather conditions made it difficult for the players with the pitch like a skating ring, Kerry opened the scoring when Kevin McCarthy pointed after three minutes, Ian Burke and Paul Conroy had the Galway’s opening points to put them ahead by the 18th minute. It would be Conroy’s only score of the game as he suffered a serious leg injury and we wish him a speedy recovery.

David Clifford had a side’s level two minutes later and they went one up when Shane Murphy popped over a 45 and Damien Comer then shot over the bar, with eight minutes injury added we had three late points Paul Geaney for Kerry and Shane Walsh and Ian Burke for the winners to give their side a one point lead at the break 0-6 to 0-5, in part two both sides upped a gear and after fifteen minutes it was a level ball game at eight points each, Walsh restored Galway’s lead with a well taken point and the Tribesmen began to grow in confidence and an excellent point from Declan Kyne showed that that belief, Adrian Varley not for the first time this year made a huge impact as a sub scoring two points and when another sub Patrick Sweeney scored a goal to give   Galway give a seven point lead but Kerry scored 1-1in the dying minutes to make it a three point win for the Tribesmen.

Galway scorers: Shane Walsh 0-5 (4f), Patrick Sweeney 1-0, Ian Burke 0-2, Adrian Varley 0-2, Damien Comer 0-1, Paul Conroy 0-1, Declan Kyne 0-1, Sean Kelly 0-1.

Kerry scorers: David Clifford 1-5 (1f), Paul Geaney 0-2, Kevin McCarthy 0-1, Stephen O’Brien 0-1, Shane Murphy 0-1 (’45)

GALWAY: Ruairi Lavelle; Declan Kyne, Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh, Eoghan Kerin; Cathal Sweeney, Gareth Bradshaw, Johnny Heaney; Paul Conroy, Thomas Flynn; Eamonn Brannigan, Michael Daly, Sean Kelly; Ian Burke, Damien comer, Shane Walsh. Subs: Peter Cooke for Paul Conroy (25), Adrian Varley for Michael Daly (55), Gary O’Donnell for Gareth Bradshaw (64), Patrick Sweeney for Damien Comer (65), Johnny Duane for Thomas Flynn (74), Frankie Burke for Ian Burke (76)

KERRY: Shane Murphy; Jason Foley, Peter Crowley, Brian Ó Beaglaoich; Paul Murphy, Killian Young, Gavin White; David Moran, Jack Barry; Kevin McCarthy, Seán Ó Shea, Stephen O’Brien; David Clifford, Paul Geaney, James O’Donoghue. Subs: Tom O’Sullivan for Brian Ó Beaglaoich (ht), Anthony Maher for Jack Barry (47), Micheál Burns for James O’Donoghue (52), Mark Griffin for Jason Foley (65), Donnchadh Walsh for Sean O’Shea (65), Barry John Keane for Kevin McCarthy (65)

Cathal Sweeney Web

Cathal Sweeney on the ball

Cul Camps 2018


Joe Canning produced an astonishing winning point in the fifth minute of stoppage time from the right sideline to send Galway into the All-Ireland final against either Cork or Waterford after a thrilling 0-22 to 1-18 at Croke Park.
The sides were level 13 times in a cracking match and just when a replay seemed on the cards, Canning struck his eleventh point of the game to send the All-Ireland champions crashing out.
John O’Dwyer had a chance to snatch an equaliser in the final play but his effort from the right tailed off and Galway’s passage to the final was secured.
Galway may not have scored a goal for a third championship match in a row but their ability to pick off points when they were most needed saw them home.
It’s the third year in a row that the All-Ireland semi-final has been decided by a single point between theses sides, with Galway gaining revenge for last year’s loss.
Now they will fancy their chance of a first All-Ireland title since 1988 after surviving a thrilling conclusion.
The sides were level six times in the opening half but Tipperary, playing with the breeze, led by 1-10 to 0-12 at the interval.
The goal came after 24 minutes when John McGrath pounced on an error by Galway goalkeeper Colm Callanan and corner-back Adrian Tuohy to flick the ball to the net.
That edged the All-Ireland champions back in front and after Johnny Coen levelled directly afterwards, Tipperary should have got a second goal when Galway full-back Daithi Burke slipped but Seamus Callanan’s ground stroke was superbly saved by the advancing goalkeeper Callanan.
Galway were on top in midfield and that began to have an impact after Tipperary opened up a 0-04 to 0-01 lead after just seven minutes with Callanan, Seamus Kennedy, Noel McGrath and John ‘Bubbles’ O’Dwyer had found the target.
Conor Cooney got Galway’s opening point after four minutes and they enjoyed their best spell when they hit four points without reply from the eighth to 15th minute with Conor Whelan, Coen, Conor Cooney and Cathal Mannion hit the target to lead for the first time by 0-05 to 0-04.
Callanan responded for Tipp before Joe Canning hit two either side of another Whelan point to open up a three points lead
Paudie Maher pulled back a point before John McGrath pounced for his fifth goal of this year’s title race and his tenth championship goal in history.
Whelan’s third point edged Galway back in front after Coen’s equaliser following the goal but Callanan landed a free from distance to tie the game four minutes from the break.
Brendan Maher edged them back in front directly afterwards and while Canning hit a trademark point from a sideline on the right, Callanan and sub Jason Forde put two between them in stoppage time.
Galway cut that gap to the minimum when Canning got his fourth point when he made no mistake with a free from 60 metres to leave it 1-10 to 0-12 at the break in front of a crowd of 68,184.
Joseph Cooney levelled the sides for the seventh time inside a minute of the restart before the unrelated Conor Cooney flashed a goal chance wide after a good run.
Callanan responded with another free for Tipp which Canning immediately cancelled and then Whelan got his fourth point to make it 0-15 to 1-11 after 42 minutes.
Gearoid McInerney was superb at the heart of the Galway defence in the second-half and he will now bid to follow in the footsteps of his father Gerry who was wing-back for the Tribesmen when they triumphed in ’87 and ’88.
Brendan and Paudie Maher got Tipp back in front with points to lead by 1-13 to 0-15 after 49 minutes, but they never led after that, with Callanan saving well from Noel McGrath.
Galway hit back and two more points from Canning and a long range free from Padraig Mannion put them two in front.
‘Bubbles’ O’Dwyer and Noel McGrath pointed either side of a Canning ’65 and then John McGrath levelled 12 minutes from time at 1-16 to 0-19.
Another Canning point from play was cancelled by a point from O’Dwyer after Callanan missed another placed ball from distance.
Indeed, both sides were guilty of wides as the tension mounted - Galway finished with 14 to Tipp’s 11 - before Canning pointed a massive free from 90 metres to edge the Tribesmen in front three minutes from the end.
Brendan Maher stepped forward and showed great composure to tie the games with a free from 70 metres two minutes into stoppage.
That suggested a replay would be needed to separate them but Canning had other ideas and his point from distance out on the right wing proved to be a match-winning score to send Galway into the All-Ireland final.
Galway: C Callanan; A Tuohy, Daithi Burke, J Hanbury; P Mannion (0-01, 0-01f), G McInerney, A Harte; J Coen (0-02), David Burke; C Mannion (0-01), J Canning (0-11, 0-06f, 0-01 sideline, 0-01 ’65), J Cooney (0-01); C Whelan (0-04), N Burke, C Cooney (0-02).
Subs: J Flynn for N Burke (45), J Glynn for C Mannion (53), S Moloney for C Cooney (70), G Lally for McInerney (71-73).
Tipperary: D Gleeson; D Maher, J Barry, M Cahill; S Kennedy (0-01), R Maher, Paudie Maher (0-02); B Maher (0-03, 0-02f), M Breen; D McCormack, Patrick ‘Bonner’ Maher, N McGrath (0-02); J O’Dwyer (0-03), S Callanan (0-05, 0-03f), J McGrath (1-01).
Subs: S Curtin for Patrick ‘Bonner Maher (7-10), J Forde (0-01) for Breen (34), N O’Meara for Forde (62).
Referee: B Kelly (Westmeath).

Report:  John Fallon